Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Is it Plugged In yet? ...and other mystifying questions!


Yes...

The question came...right after I finished my explanation of my problem and my plea for help.

"Is it plugged in yet?"

Now, I consider myself a smart person.  And I understand that this basic question can certainly offset lots of time spent on deeper troubleshooting, when dealing with a 1st time user.  However, the REAL question is WHY ask this question to a customer that has a proven background and long history of purchases with the firm?

The answer will shock some ... and only shock others because OTHERS are shocked!

    The answer is that they did not know me at all!

Sure, they had my name and account particulars.  Probably had my purchase history handy.  Indeed knew the model I had purchased.  Certainly could access my past service calls.

Did they use that data??  Seems not.

So...my post for today centers around using organizational knowledge assets...seemingly important and routinely available data that can be transformed into knowledge!

When I speak, I frequently share stories about the Ritz Carlton hotel and experiences with their service.  I share, because the stories are amazing... personal guidance to the coffee shop by a contractor, using the name of the guest by each associate, personal notes by the GM.  Stuff of service legend and the envy of many companies.

However, the real essence is that the story HAPPENS because the staff is willing and able to act.

Willing and able...hmmm.  

Willing means that staff is ENGAGED and feels empowered to act because they believe they are part of the solution and the team... and not simply an employee.  Ritz Carlton gets it..and so does their staff!

Able means that the staff is trained, mentored, coached, evaluated and rewarded for their efforts.

Did you know that Zappos (the online retailer) actually offers new staff $2,000 if they quit AFTER the four-week training.  Its designed to weed out those that are not committed to the Zappos way.  Zappos knows that the cost will be immaterial to the potential service risk of a poor employee.

So, getting back to the "is it plugged in yet?" question... more than likely it is not the "fault" of the service rep, but the failure of the leaders to ensure their staff was "willing and able" to use the data at their fingertips and transform it into service knowledge.

Here is how that service call might have gone...

"Mr. Clapp I see that you are a frequent client of "ABC" and I appreciate your continued support.  Knowing that you purchased the XTRA GOOD version, I will move straight into troubleshooting, well beyond simply powering the unit.  Now, with your last call..."

See how the data available was transformed into service knowledge to both engage and delight the customer!  Here is where the caution goes... you don't need a multi-million dollar Oracle database to manage the info...you need a willing and able staff.  Technology certainly helps, but I have seen many expensive systems go unused because of poor training and a disengaged staff!

Next time...how to CREATE a willing and able staff.

Cheers!


Want to learn more?  Enroll in the MarketMatch eCollege!  Smart learning online sessions delivered five consecutive Tuesdays with CFMP credits, tactical advice and a game plan for success!  Enroll here!
MarketMatch is a full-service marketing consulting firm, dedicated to the credit union and community banking community.  We utilize knowledge-based strategies to help you FOCUS on the efforts that will generate MOMENTUM and yield the greatest RESULTS for your bottom line.



No comments:

Post a Comment