Thursday, September 16, 2010

Make it personal...

I think its pretty cool when I get something in the mail that has a message specific to me. For example, a reminder oil change postcard; It has a picture of the kind of car I have, an image of a family that is similar to mine in demographics, a little map of the closest oil change facility to me, a personalized greeting using my name, and to top that off, a website I can visit to set up an appointment. But wait a minute… How do they know all of this information and how did they make this postcard speak specifically to me? Its easy… its called Variable Data Printing (VDP) or more broadly known as Variable Marketing.


Pretend you are just an average consumer with no marketing background, no idea how data works, no knowledge of print processes or mailings and never heard of variable marketing. When you receive this type of material in your mailbox you would think, “Man! - I feel kind of privileged…this postcard was printed specifically for me, has a detailed message specifically to me and it gives me an address to visit a webpage designed specifically for me. I must be their most important customer.”


That's what they want you to think…that is the beauty of variable marketing. It’s powerful stuff.


Variable marketing can vary from a postcard/letter, personalized URLs (PURLs), email campaigns, or even a text message. It all really depends on the campaign budget and the amount of information (data) you have for the target audience (which can literally be whittled down to what brand of dog food a household uses and where they bought it).


In this day and age with all of the cutthroat competition out there we want our members and customers to feel important. They need to feel like they mean something to us, and they do. It all plays a part in customer retention, making that relationship stronger, more trustworthy and building a confidence that no matter what happens in your life, we're here for you. A happy birthday mailing, a welcome to the neighborhood message, the possibilities, messages and creativity are endless.

For more information on using variable data, setting up any kind of mailing or just questions about how personal you can make it, give us a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment