Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Turning Oops into Opportunity

After a hailstorm, I had my roof replaced a few weeks ago and it could easily have been a tale of two experiences.

During the replacement, the workers dropped a large roll of roofing paper onto my deck - shattering a portion of my handrail.

When the job was complete, they had used a metal valley (the seam between to roof lines) that we did not previously have ñ and that my wife hated!

Shortly after the roofers left, I mowed the lawn and ended up with a flat tire on my rider thanks to a roofing nail.

And with all that said - I would highly recommend my roofing company to anyone.

Surprised?

The rest of the story is that they:
  • Rebuilt a new handrail to match the destroyed one on the next day
  • Replaced the metal valleys with a more aesthetically pleasing treatment within a week
  • Took $100 off the roofing cost to replace my flat tire

The unfortunate reality is that accidents happen ... statements can be wrong ... debit cards can mail late ... tellers can miscount bills.

The important thing is to proactively turn these "oops" moments into opportunity. Make the situation right ... by any means necessary ... and then some if possible.

4 Simple Rules
  1. Employees cannot be afraid to call mistakes to management attention as soon as they are discovered.
  2. All staff must feel empowered to correct an issue as quickly as possible (parameters can be set for significantly costly issues ñ but common sense should dictate what needs to be done here).
  3. "I'm sorry" are very powerful words!
  4. Give a little extra for the inconvenience.

By doing what is right, you can turn possible tragedy into a referral opportunity.

Take care,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment