Friday, December 18, 2009

Would you like a checking account with that pizza?

Would you like a checking account with that pizza?

This month I am traveling meeting with potential clients, visiting family for the holidays and catching up with old friends. After driving over 700 miles in three days, I was getting ready to relax in my hotel and watch the Indianapolis Colts continue their pursuit of perfection.

As you probably know, a football game isn't complete without pizza and your favorite beverage!

Thirty minutes before game time, I called Domino's delivery.

When the pizza arrived, stapled to the pizza box was a flyer from National City Bank. "Open up a National City Checking Account and get up to $300 - How's that for a bank statement." The flyer had all the qualifications and required legal disclosures.

The flyer was branch generic but included the "call to action" i.e. come to your nearest location or call a 800#. It had an expiration date, etc.

I don't know how many Domino's pizzas get delivered in a months time in the city of Indianapolis but I'm sure the number is substantial. The cost of the flyer was minimal and I'm not sure if a fee was paid to Domino's but the all in cost (excluding the $300 offer) was probably very reasonable.

Someone at National City really got creative when trying to grow their checking base.

I know it is a cliche but don't be afraid to "think outside the box" as you tackle your institutions growth challenges!

Have a great holiday season!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment