Monday, June 8, 2009

A WOW Experience.....

Good Monday morning...and a great day it is!

This past week, I was in Florida and had the occasion to visit a Publix grocery store. For those that have never visited...it is worth a trip south to visit a store. EVERY Publix I have ever been to has the same characteristics-- the same customer experience:
  • Very bright and cheery
  • Staff at every turn offering help
  • Easy to navigate stores
  • Helpful signage and information
  • A broad selection
Now....most stores can lay claim to the same items...however, as with all banks and credit unions, the true difference lies with the execution and the staff!

My most recent experience is a capstone class in empowering staff and delivering the customer experience. My request was pretty simple...but I was still wowed! I went to the deli department and asked for three items (1 1/2 pounds each of two deli meats and one cheese). Instead of making me wait (with my children) the most helpful clerk asked me if it was OK, if I went ahead and shopped and she would have it ready for me, when I was ready--- remember, she asked ME if it was OK!

About 5 minutes passed and I was tapped on the shoulder 3 or 4 aisles over from the Deli. It was the deli clerk! She said,"I have your items ready for you and to make it easier, I went ahead and thought I would find you." She found ME in the store. Now, that is service....beyond expectation.

The lesson is simple. Empower your people. Tell them the basics...make the customer happy (and that does NOT mean lower prices, cut rates, etc....the meats I bought were MORE expensive than the sale items)...it means truly understanding HOW we can help a customer with three basic needs...save time, make time or make money!

Is your staff ready? Are they WILLING and ABLE?

Take a look around....

Cheers!

Bruce Clapp

No comments:

Post a Comment