Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Reflecting on Reflections

I had a personal epiphany over the weekend and then turned it into a professional one.

There's no greater reflection of ourselves than observing the actions of those we lead.

It all started when I wished my 5-year-old son would stop yelling first and asking questions later. 

Then I realized that he was a “mini-me.”  A 3-foot tall version of my impatient, hotheaded self.  He wasn’t born with a short fuse, he learned it through watching me.

The same is true for our institutions.  As managers or those responsible for the service delivery of our banks or credit unions, if you are unsatisfied with the actions of your staff – first look at the culture that created the behaviors.

Walt Disney understood this:

People look at you and me to see what they are supposed to be.  And, if we don't disappoint them, maybe, just maybe, they won't disappoint us."

- Walt Disney

I don’t believe that Orlando, Florida is the hotbed of outstanding, service-oriented people.  If that were true, your experiences outside of Disney would be the same as those inside the park.  What Disney has, however, is a clear definition of service excellence and a consistent and unwavering expectation from the CEO to the janitor that this definition is to be lived everyday – with absolutely no exceptions.

Rather than punish my son for his actions, I will make a conscience effort to not disappoint him in MY actions ... then maybe, just maybe, I won't be disappointed in his.

How will you and your management team effect the service culture of your institution?

Take Care,                                                                                                                  

Eric


OTHER MEANINGFUL WALT DISNEY QUOTES:

“You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.”

“Of all the things I've done, the most vital is coordinating those who work with me and aiming their efforts at a certain goal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment