Monday, July 16, 2007

Is your personality contagious?

I think it's a very valid question. I believe that enthusiasm is contagious. I also believe pessimism is contagious. When I am around people who are happy and excited, I tend to be happy and excited too...but when I am around people who are negative and pessimistic I feel like an energy vampire has sucked the life out of me!

This is why I ask. Every Monday morning the MarketMatch team has a conference call to check in and discuss how we can help one another by leveraging each of our unique perspectives. This morning I was told that I was starting to "talk like Bruce." I used some of his catch phrases. Apparently it's contagious.


Now, I know many of you out there in the banking world have met Bruce Clapp, and if you haven't, you should. Talk about contagious enthusiasm! And the guy knows his stuff. Early in my banking career, I had the luxury to meet Bruce at a conference. We kept in touch over the long course of my career, and it wasn't long before Bruce became my mentor. He is a marketing genius. I count my blessings every day that I am now working with my mentor, and constantly being challenged to think in new ways. So, if his catch phrases AND energy are contagious, well, those are diseases I am willing to catch!

So, is your bank contagious? Does your brand resonate in such a way that your customers keep coming back and bringing their friends? Does your teller line have so much energy and excitement that your customers LOOK FORWARD to coming in? Is their day better for having stopped at the bank on the way to work? Is the enthusiasm inside your branches contagious, or do you employ energy vampires?

It's something to think about, and it's easy to fix. When employees are motivated and empowered, they feel they are a part of something bigger. And when they are happy, it shows. We don't sing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" when we are kids because it's silly, we sing it because a it's true story.

Find a way to make your front line staff happy. And I know you are all thinking, "Whatever, Jenna...we all know it's more money." Wrong. It isn't always more money. I will bet that what is making your people less enthusiastic has more to do with lack of recognition for a job well done, lack of challenge, and lack of understanding of the importance of their role at the bank than it does their paycheck.

My final thoughts to share with you this beautiful Monday morning are these:
When you praise people for a job well done, it raises the bar of measurement for the job.
Most people live up to the expectations you set for them...but very few exceed the expectations.

Make the personality of your bank contagious! You will reap the benefits in lower attrition, greater retention, and a higher share of wallet.

Happy Monday!

Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment